Irish fishing industry organisations have given a qualified welcome to an ecological analysis relating to potential marine protected areas (MPAs) in the Irish Sea. The recently published report recommends a list of 40 sensitive species and habitats which should be protected when MPAs are designated in the western Irish Sea. Angel shark, basking shark, tope, American plaice and the European eel are among the 40 species and habitats, along with the blonde ray, cuckoo ray, edible sea urchin and short-snouted sea horse. Some 18 of the features or species nominated, including 14 fish, which are already on protected lists.
- The Irish Sun: FISHY BUSINESS Irish fishermen fury over ‘unbelievable and outrageous’ secret EU deal talks to give Iceland access to our waters
- WORLD FISHING: Freeze bid for Irish blue whiting in EU-Iceland talks
- Daily Express: Fish about to be plundered off coast of UK as EU about to strike major deal with Iceland
- GBN: ‘Outrageous!’ EU threatens to ‘plunder’ fish just miles from UK waters amid bid to strike deal with Iceland
- Irelands says to EU “No Icelandic Deal without Reciprocity.”